Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2017, 12:04:03 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: You need 250 posts to get into the Members Only Boards!

+  bestparentever.com
|-+  The Debate Room
| |-+  Big Girl (and Guy) Panty Room
| | |-+  Groupon Ads
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Groupon Ads  (Read 5577 times)
>>>>>>>>>>>
nomorewirehangers
I really need a life

Got thumbs? +397/-12

« on: February 11, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkFT2yjk0A

I saw the ads Superbowl Sunday, and while I PERSONALLY didn't find them funny (90% of the commercials sucked that night) I was NOT aware that there was a huge controversy over them (to the point of people boycotting) until this morning when some FB fans got on their "we are never buying from them AGAIN" high horse...

What do ya'll think? I believe that Groupon has pulled the entire line of commercials...however some folks are talking not only boycotting the company but all the actors (Timothy Hutton, Liz Hurley, and Cuba Gooding Jr.) as well.

Part of me thinks that they are pretty damn tacky, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'll never watch Cuba Gooding Jr. in a movie again ya know?
Snatch
Well fuck me running.
I really need a life

Got thumbs? +401/-27

I poop rainbows and butterflies.

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »

I dunno.  I didn't see any of the commercials until the one you just posted and I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it had I not read just now that folks were up in arms.  :frog:

If you don't want to stand behind our military, feel free to stand in front of them.

Don't be SO liberal minded your brain falls out.
Monica
Crazy Post Whore/Dude

Got thumbs? +192/-4

He is home for now.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »

I love groupons. 

Maybe that should be our controversy.

nomorewirehangers
I really need a life

Got thumbs? +397/-12

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »

:rofl:

well I was posting it AFTER we said we needed to get something going around here...

problem is...I don't really care that much!  :rofl:  :study: about groupons that is...
Monica
Crazy Post Whore/Dude

Got thumbs? +192/-4

He is home for now.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

I really do like groupons.  I'm not going to stop using them because some stupid ad person made a tasteless and stupid commercial. 

I've got much better things to worry about than that.

Kapihopela
Resident Food Snob
Crazy Post Whore/Dude

Got thumbs? +207/-11

For the honour of Grayskull

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »

I don't understand what the controversy is?

Deep down I'm really just a BPE with an appetite for punishment.
nomorewirehangers
I really need a life

Got thumbs? +397/-12

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »

They used politically controversial and rather SAD circumstances of places such as Tibet, Haiti, and I (think) Argentina to segwey into their pitches.

I'll have to see if I can find the others. But a lot of people found them really offensive. I just found them a little tacky- but that is coming from someone who was IN Marketing and Advertising and would have fired someone for putting that on my desk.  :study: but that's just me.  :rofl:
nomorewirehangers
I really need a life

Got thumbs? +397/-12

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fboyGZm_IdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtH_Zka_o7U

I had my locations totally wrong.. lol

I honestly laughed at the Liz Hurley one. I hadn't seen it before. The only one I found slightly disturbing was the Tibetan one. But the other one was pretty amusing! lol
forrest
Crazy Post Whore/Dude

Got thumbs? +512/-10

I'm not being an ass; I'm being realistic!

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkFT2yjk0A

I saw the ads Superbowl Sunday, and while I PERSONALLY didn't find them funny (90% of the commercials sucked that night) I was NOT aware that there was a huge controversy over them (to the point of people boycotting) until this morning when some FB fans got on their "we are never buying from them AGAIN" high horse...

What do ya'll think? I believe that Groupon has pulled the entire line of commercials...however some folks are talking not only boycotting the company but all the actors (Timothy Hutton, Liz Hurley, and Cuba Gooding Jr.) as well.

Part of me thinks that they are pretty damn tacky, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'll never watch Cuba Gooding Jr. in a movie again ya know?

saw the commercial and thought it was dumb in that the joke didnt work...didnt know people are boycotting though

forrest
Crazy Post Whore/Dude

Got thumbs? +512/-10

I'm not being an ass; I'm being realistic!

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »

ok, didnt see the one with Liz Hurley...that one is pretty funny...

nomorewirehangers
I really need a life

Got thumbs? +397/-12

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:52 PM »

ok, didnt see the one with Liz Hurley...that one is pretty funny...

I thought so too...her delivery was pretty spot on. The Whale one just didn't work and the Tibet one was just... I keep using the word TACKY but it's the only one that comes to mind? lol

I STILL don't understand what the big deal was...but there is apparently a big problem with it!

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Groupon-Pulls-Ad-Campaign-115919399.html
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Click here to return to BestParentEver.com